Monday, August 27, 2007

Decisions

I had to make some possible future-changing decisions today! Sounds dramatic, doesn't it? It isn't really.

As you know I work part time in a pet shop, the hours are only 20 hours a week, which isn't really enough if I want to eat as well as all the pets. I have been doing a lot of overtime recently, but they employed three new staff on Friday, so the overtime's gone down to nothing. So I felt I had no choice but to start looking for another job. I applied for a job in a local estate agent/solicitors and had an interview on Friday, it all sounded really good, except it was full time. I didn't really want to do full time, as I would have had to cut down drastically on my drawing time, probably turning down commissions as I wouldn't have realistically been able to work on any in the evenings. All I really needed was an extra 8 - 10 hours a week at my current job to make me financially secure (well as secure as you ever get lol).

So I was agonising over what to do if they offered me the job, then was handed a ray of sunshine when i went into work to buy rat litter and dog food at the weekend - one of the new starters hadn't started! So, I went into work this morning and asked my boss for some more permanent hours, or I would be forced to leave and I already had had an interveiw and was waiting to hear from them. He said yes - he's not sure when but he will sort something out for me.

Then, when I got home I had a job offer on my email waiting for me. I called them and said I didn't want it, sorry to mess them around etc, to which he said he was very dissapointed as I was head and shoulders above the rest! I did feel ever so guilty but I think i've made the right decision for me. I've got the extra hours, so extra money but have still got plenty of time to work on my artwork. I wonder if i've missed out on an opportunity but I also beleive totally that life is what you make it, and I have also been given an opportunity to continue with my artwork, so i am going to make the absoloute most of this chance.

Needless to say, I am feeling very popular today! It's the first time i've ever turned down a job offer and the first time i've ever threatened a boss with a 'do this or i'm leaving' ultimatum! A good day all in all.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home